What is Network Registration and Why is it Required?
All computers connecting to the K-State network within the residence halls and Jardine Apartments must complete network registration before getting full internet access. Registration is an important part of network security, and can additionally help you retrieve your computer if it is lost or stolen. In addition, you must have all current security patches and updates for your operating system, and use the free Trend Micro antivirus software provided by K-State. Registration of student computers requires acceptance of the User Agreement and Statement of Policies, and the K-State Technology Usage Policies. For more information about K-State network security, please see Security for Information, Computing and Network Resources.
How to Prepare Your Computer From Home
- Ensure your computer is running a valid, licensed operating system. K-State supports Windows Vista/7/8/10, Mac OS X 10.6 (Snow Leopard) and newer, and Linux.
- Install the free K-State Trend Micro antivirus software. Completely uninstall any other antivirus software before attempting to install the K-State antivirus software. Multiple antivirus programs tend to interfere with one another, which can lead to performance degradation and system crashes. Some common examples of antivirus software that should be removed are: Norton/Symantec, McAfee, AVG and 360.
After Arriving on Campus
The following steps cannot be completed until you arrive on campus. After completing all the previous steps, registration will only take a few minutes after arriving on campus.
- Ensure that your computer is connected to the "KSU Housing" wireless network or the Ethernet connection in your room. Information on how to connect to the “KSU Housing” wireless network can be viewed on the How-Tos page.
- Bring up a browser, and then load any webpage. This will redirect you to the SafeConnect installation instructions.
- Follow the instructions provided on each page. Computers will be prompted to download and install SafeConnect to your computer.
- After successfully running SafeConnect, you will be fully registered. If an error occurs or if you are prompted to do the same step multiple times after completion, please contact the ResNet Help Desk.