What is Network Registration and Why is it Required?
All computers connecting to the K-State network within the residence halls and Jardine Apartments must complete network registration before getting full internet access. Registration is an important part of network security, and can additionally help you retrieve your computer if it is lost or stolen. Computers connected to the K-State network must be running a valid, licensed operating system supported by K-State. In addition, you must have all current security patches and updates for your operating system, and use the free Trend Micro antivirus software provided by K-State. Registration of student computers requires acceptance of the User Agreement and Statement of Policies, and the K-State Technology Usage Policies. For more information about K-State network security, please see Security for Information, Computing and Network Resources.
How to Pre-Register Your Computer From Home
- Ensure your computer is running a valid, licensed operating system. K-State supports Windows XP, Windows Vista, Windows 7, Windows 8, Mac OS X 10.4 (Tiger), 10.5 (Leopard), 10.6 (Snow Leopard), 10.7 (Lion), 10.8 (Mountain Lion) and Linux.
- Verify that your operating system is up-to-date. View our instructions on how to update your supported operating system.
- Install the free K-State Trend Micro antivirus software. Completely uninstall any other antivirus software before attempting to install the K-State antivirus software. Multiple antivirus programs tend to interfere with one another, which can lead to performance degradation and system crashes. Some common examples of antivirus software that should be removed are: Norton/Symantec, McAfee, AVG, and Kaspersky.
- Check for antivirus updates. After the K-State antivirus software is installed, you will need to make sure that the definitions are updated.
- Turn on Windows Firewall.Instructions on how to turn on Windows Firewall can be found by selecting your Operating System below.
After Arriving on Campus
The following steps cannot be completed until you arrive on campus. After completing all the previous steps, registration will only take a few minutes after arriving on campus.
- Ensure that your computer is connected to the "KSU Housing" wireless network or the Ethernet connection in your room. Information on how to connect to the “KSU Housing” wireless network can be viewed on the How Tos page.
- Bring up a browser, and then load any webpage — which will then redirect to the K-State login page. Enter your eID and password in the spaces provided and select Submit.
- Follow the instructions provided on each page. You will be prompted to download SafeConnect to your computer. After successfully downloading SafeConnect, run the program itself.
- After successfully running SafeConnect, you will be fully registered. If an error occurs or if you are prompted to do the same step multiple times after completion, please call the ResNet Help Desk at 785-532-2711 for assistance.
Successful completion of the registration process helps ensure a safe and secure connection to the internet while at K-State. Failure to meet the requirements listed above will result in being disconnected from the network. More information about K-State network security policy is available at Security for Information, Computing and Network Resources.