Nutrition and Special Diet Information
All Dining Services locations are staffed with registered and licensed dietitians who are available to assist residents following a diet modified for medical or religious purposes. The dietitian in your facility will be happy to help you plan your meals and locate the appropriate foods within the dining center to keep you healthy and safe.
For dietary requests based on lifestyle or religion (vegan, halal, etc.), please contact the registered dietititan for your dining center.
Food Allergy Information
For food allergy or dietary needs based on medical diagnosis (such as Celiac Disease), please complete the following steps:
Communicate the dietary accomodation request need(s) to the Student Access Center. They will review the information and may reach out for further discussion of the acommodation.
Student Access Center staff work with Dining Services to make sure accommodations can be met and establish a network of support for the student while at K-State.
Contact us. Set up a meeting with a registered dietitian.
During the meeting with the dietitian, the following will happen:
- Overview of dining operations, including methods and ingredients used in meal preparation.
- Tour of dining center, including allergy friendly area and foods, highlighting menu options and how to navigate the dining center specific to your dietary need.
- Access to the mobile app ordering system will be granted and instructions on how to use this resource will be given.
- Create and agree on an indvidualized plan of action for the student based on their dietary needs.
- Meet management staff and lead cooks if available.
Allergy Friendly Station
Mobile Ordering App
How our mobile ordering system works?
After app enrollment is confirmed, the student is ready to utilize the app for daily meal service. To receive meals on a daily basis, the student will select the dining center where the meal will be picked up and then make selections from the daily menu options listed for that day on the app. Before placing the order, they will designate a meal pick up time and then finally, place the order.
Dining center staff will obtain the order and prepare it following food allergy preparation protocols that reflect FARE (Food Allergy Research & Education) guidelines and standards. The order will be ready for the student to pick up at the designated time and location within the specified dining center.
Please note that at any time if there are questions or concerns, the student should reach out to the RD so that the concerns may be addressed. We are here to support the student and his/her needs.
Be your own advocate!
- Know your allergy
- Select products you know are safe for your particular allergy/intolerance
- Know your dining center
- Meet the staff and managers at your dining center
- Tour the facility to locate menu options that fit your food selections
- Inform your roommates and hall staff
- Help them understand your food allergy
- Let them know how they can assist you
- Be prepared and have a plan
- Take time to review the menu before your meal
- Ask to see labels and recipes to ensure allergens aren't present
- Let us help you
- We're here to assist you in discovering which menu items meet the criteria for your diet
- We take your requests seriously and continually read nutrition and ingredient labels to assure product suitability
- We are committed to training our staff to increase their knowledge and awareness of your dietary needs
- When you have questions, always ask for a manager
- Remember: You always have the final say in your menu selections
Food values are approximate and ingredient substitutions are possible. Please recognize that the ingredients and nutritional content of food items served in the dining centers may vary. Ingredients that may be listed or special diets marked on dining center menus are based on ingredient information do not take into account the potential for cross-contact during preparation or service. Manufacturers may change their product formulation or consistency of ingredients without our knowledge, and product availability may fluctuate. While we make every effort to identify ingredients, we cannot assure against these contingencies. It is, therefore, ultimately the responsibility of the customer to judge whether or not to question ingredients or choose to eat selected foods. For questions regarding ingredients, please consult a Dining Services dietitian at any time.