Housing and Dining Services
Update for Friday, March 20
On Friday, March 20, the Riley County Health Department announced the first positive case of COVID-19 in Riley County. Although little information was released about the individual with the positive case, the county stated he is a 51-year-old resident of Manhattan who recently traveled abroad.
The Riley County Health Department also announced a prohibition of public gatherings of more than 10 people. There are exemptions to that prohibition, and our move-out process will continue as planned unless we are informed otherwise. If that were to occur, we will notify students.
We do want to reiterate the importance of a prompt checkout process of one hour, so please have a plan before arriving.
We understand others may be facing restrictions locally or are from a state which may prevent them from coming to campus. If this applies to you, you no longer feel comfortable coming to campus to get your items or you don't arrive for your move-out appointment, staff will contact you in the coming weeks to find a time to collect your items and complete your checkout.
University COVID-19 Response: Move-Out Procedure
With K-State’s decision to continue limited operations and online instruction through the remainder of the spring 2020 semester, we will be closing all residence halls and dining centers. Students must now vacate their residence hall room.
In an effort to follow CDC guidelines for social distancing, this process will take place March 20-30. Over the course of those 10 days, a limited number of students will be allowed in our buildings during each move-out time slot to retrieve their belongings and check out of their space. Please read this message in its entirety to get the full picture of what this process will entail.
Step 1: Select a Move-Out Time
- Please be certain your date and time will work for you. After you select your date and time, there will be no adjustments.
- We will not be allowing roommates or suitemates to check out at the same time, so please coordinate with them to ensure appropriate social distancing practices.
- Your time must be selected 24 hours in advance of your arrival.
- After you complete the move-out survey, you will be directed to complete an online forwarding address form.
- Students who are currently ill or under a quarantine directive should NOT come back to campus to move out until they are well and have been cleared from quarantine. There is a place on the survey to indicate this and our staff will work with you regarding a future date for move-out.
- Students who are from out-of-state and cannot return by March 30 to check out should indicate so on the survey.
- If you need to have another person remove your items for you, please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org from your K-State email account with your name, ID number, room number, and the name and contact information of the person you’re permitting to pick up your belongings.
- If you fail to select a time and do not communicate with Housing and Dining Services about your move-out by March 31, your belongings will be disposed of after 30 days.
Step 2: Prepare for Move-Out
- If you come at a time other than your chosen time, you will not be granted access to the building.
- Be sure to bring your keys and your student ID card.
- You will be limited to one hour to get your belongings out of the building.
- You are allowed to bring a maximum of two people to assist you inside the building.
- All individuals who enter will be asked to wear gloves for the entire time they are in the building.
- Community restrooms will be unavailable.
- To reduce the potential for virus transmission, no carts will be provided. You are welcome to bring your own carts, dollies, boxes, suitcases or other items to expedite this process.
- To aid in the move-out process, Parking Services has suspended ticketing, so you are welcome to park in any available parking spaces closest to your building (except spaces for those with disabilities). We encourage Haymaker and Moore residents to park in the B2 parking lot across from their halls until they are ready to load their vehicle. Wefald residents should park in the A28 lot across the street from Wefald.
- You do not need to clean your room. Please just remove any trash and dispose of it as directed. We will not be recycling or taking donations at this time. We will not be charging for cleaning or damages as long as the provided furniture is still in the room. We will charge for lost keys, so be sure to bring them for your checkout.
- Enter and exit the building through the front residence hall doors only.
- Dining centers are not open for meals.
When You Arrive
Staff will be stationed in the main floor lobby to greet students. Students from Boyd and Putnam halls should report to the Van Zile lobby. Please then complete the checklist below.
Mail and packages that have been sorted will be available for pickup as you depart the building. Any mail that comes after your move-out date will be forwarded as time allows. You may receive package notifications to your email address as our staff logs the packages — disregard the package pickup directives in those emails.
Please update your addresses in KSIS to speed up receipt of your mail in the future. We recommend that you update your address with any businesses you order from and with subscriptions you may have as well.
Residence Hall Refund Statement
Due to the university's move to remote course instruction for the remainder of the spring 2020 semester, Housing and Dining Services will suspend all resident services in the residence halls and dining centers.
Students who have not lived in the residence halls at any time after spring break will receive a prorated credit of their spring 2020 semester room and meal plan charge. The credit will be applied to any balances in the student’s KSIS account before being refunded to the student. To ensure refunds are processed correctly, all students must make sure their permanent address in KSIS is up to date.
If an emergency arises and you are unable to make your time, or if you have questions about the move-out process, please contact us at email@example.com.
We appreciate your patience and understanding during this unexpected situation.