Housing and Dining Services
Welcome to the Department of Housing and Dining Services at Kansas State University!
As always, we're committed to providing a positive experience that enhances your education and connects you to the university. As you can imagine, the COVID-19 pandemic has challenged us to find new ways to provide this experience while safeguarding the health of our residents and staff.
Visit our COVID-19 Updates page to learn more about the changes we've made, and as always, contact your student living or dining staff with any questions or needs you may have.
Interested in Living on Campus at K-State? (New Residents)
The contract for 2021-2022 academic year housing is now available for completion. If you're not currently living in one of our communities but would like to sign up for housing in one of our residence halls, please follow these steps. (Students must first be admitted to the university with a verified K-State eID.)
- Because you have the opportunity to select your specific room in April or May, you will not be asked for any room or hall preferences on the contract.
- The date you complete your contract will be your submitted date and will determine your place in line for room selection in May. If you are not 100 percent certain who your roommates will be, what meal plan you want or even what Residential CAT Community you are interested in, you have the option to return and change those selections on your contract.
Strong Community Availability: In consideration of incoming and returning resident projections for the 2021-2022 academic year, we've made the difficult decision to close Boyd, Putnam and Van Zile halls. Read more.
Before You Begin
- You will sign your contract online through the K-State Housing and Dining Services Resident Portal. This will require your K-State eID and password.
- We recommend you try logging in to the Resident Portal prior to Dec. 7 to make sure you know your eID and have the correct password.
- If you are having trouble with your eID or password, contact the University IT Help Desk (iTAC) at 785-532-7722, firstname.lastname@example.org or use their online help resources. Housing and Dining Services staff do not have the authority to change passwords.
- For increased expediency when completing the contract, please use a laptop or desktop computer instead of a mobile device.
Step-by-Step Contract Guide (PDF)
Step 1: Complete the Residence Hall Contract
- When you complete the contract, you'll need to submit the $230 contract payment. This amount consists of a $30 nonrefundable processing fee and a refundable $200 initial payment. Contracts will not be processed or considered complete until the payment is made. If you have questions or concerns about the contract payment, please contact the Housing and Dining Services office for assistance.
- The initial contract payment is refundable until June 1, 2021.
- You can make changes in the Resident Portal until July 1, 2021. Editing your contract after completion won't change the submitted date or your place in line.
- Once you've completed the contract and submitted the payment, you'll receive a confirmation email. Please allow 10-15 minutes to receive this email.
Step 2: Explore Your Options
Step 3: Choose Your Living Experience
- Residents who are enrolled in a Residential CAT Community will begin to choose their living experience mid-April.
- All other new residents will begin to choose their living experience in May. Notification with your selection date and time will be sent to your K-State email in early April.
- July 1, 2021, is the last date to make changes in the Resident Portal.
Room selection for the 2021-2022 Academic Year
It's here! Room selection for incoming residents has begun. Our April 15 webinar took students and families through the process and answered our most frequently asked questions.
Before You Select
While you wait for your turn to choose your room in the Resident Portal, there are many things you can do to prepare for the process.
Find a roommate. If you're still looking for a roommate, we encourage you to consider utilizing the K-State Room Sync application to find a good match.
When you identify a roommate, please remember to update your roommate preferences on your housing contract in the Resident Portal.
Confirm your roommates. Review your contract in the https://hmsweb.housing.k-state.edu/residentportal/ to confirm that your preferred roommates have completed their contract and preferenced you as a roommate. This will ensure that you're all assigned to your selected room at the same time. Complete this worksheet to help finalize your preferences.
Explore your options. Review the Explore Your Options worksheet to be sure you're aware of all the housing options available to you.
Make a list of your first, second and third preferred hall and room types, reviewing the associated cost for each option, so you can make decisions quickly when your room selection time begins.
View the residence hall rates at a glance.
Confirm with any preferred roommates which hall and room type each roommate is interested in to ensure everyone's preference is being accommadated.
Already Live Here and Wish to Return for 2021-2022?
Same rate, new experience!
If you're loving your campus home-away-from-home and want to reserve your space (or another space) for the 2021-2022 academic year, the Choose Your Experience process is here! We'll email the details to you, and your RA and community coordinators will be in contact to assist you if needed. Visit the Choose Your Experience section of our website to get started.
We're here to answer your questions. Call us at 785-532-6453 or email email@example.com.