1. K-State home
  2. »Housing and Dining Services
  3. »Housing
  4. »Student Living Handbooks
  5. »Jardine Apartments Handbook
  6. »Jardine Apartments General Information

Housing and Dining Services

Jardine Apartments General Information

Apartment Entry/Access
Communicable Diseases
Community Spaces
Conduct Processes and Procedures
Heating and Air Conditioning System
HDS Facilities Mangement Staff
Laundry Facilities
Lead-Based Paint Safety
Light Bulbs
Marketing for University-Affiliated Groups
Playground Areas
Reasonable Accommodations
Roommate Conflict
Self-Destructive Behavior
Snow Removal
Stadium Events
Storm Warnings
Transfer Requests
Transfer Procedure
Trash Bins
Utility Services
Vacating Your Apartment

Apartment Entry/Access

A Housing and Dining Services staff member may authorize entrance to a student’s apartment and/or room for these reasons, but not limited to:

  1. The resident’s permission.
  2. To shut off loud and disruptive TVs, radios, persistently ringing alarm clocks, telephones, etc.
  3. During emergencies when there is potential or actual danger to life, safety, health and/or property.
  4. By lawfully issued search warrant.
  5. To provide room maintenance, repair service, health and safety inspections, or pest control, some of which may occur over break periods.
  6. In the case where an apartment is partially vacated, staff may enter the apartment to complete the checkout procedure for the resident who has departed. Staff will only enter the bedroom of the vacated resident and take note of common area spaces within the apartment.

Communicable Diseases

Residents who believe they have an infectious or contagious disease should work with medical professionals to address their concern. Housing and Dining Services will work with medical professionals in Lafene Health Center for proper course of action in regards to communicable/infectious diseases.


Housing and Dining Services staff may contact you by phone, mail or email about a variety of issues such as maintenance requests, holiday breaks, safety issues, and other important information. Information may also be dispersed through meetings, bulletin boards, and paper notices delivered to your room and apartment. Your K-State email is the primary source of communication at Kansas State University and Housing and Dining Services. You are responsible for checking your email and physical mailbox frequently. Residents’ physical mailboxes are located in the mailroom in Building 7 at Jardine Apartments, north of the Jardine office/Tower building. Any notices to a resident shall be deemed received by residents on the date delivered to the resident’s K-State email or mailbox.

Community Spaces

Community spaces are available for residents to rent. There are both indoor and outdoor spaces in which to host meetings or social gatherings. Learn more about the various event spaces available to residents, how to reserve them and the costs associated with reservation.

The Overlook/The Plaza

The Overlook at the pond and The Plaza are attractive outdoor venues. Common events hosted here include weddings, receptions and reunions.

Jardine Tower, Floors One through Five

Each floor of the Tower at Jardine brings a different dynamic, which will help you shape a unique event. The five Tower floors may be rented individually or as one.

Plaza Academic Resource Centers

The Plaza Academic Resource Center provides a classroom-type setting.

Frith Community Center

The Frith Community Center is available for private parties, organizational meetings, classes, etc., related to K-State activities. The center houses a kitchen and a large hall with the capacity to hold 132 persons. Fire-safety policies prohibit cooking on the stovetop in the Frith Community Center with oils of any kind or other cooking greases such as animal fats, butter, ghee, lard, margarine, tallow or vegetable shortening in this kitchen. Individuals found to be using these oils while cooking on the stove top will lose kitchen privileges and the kitchen will be taken out of service if this issue persists.

Conduct Processes and Procedures

Housing and Dining Services staff members are expected to report any significant event that occurs in Housing and Dining Services communities. An incident report is a written account of an event or situation by the person(s) who have the earliest and most direct involvement with the incident. Charges of policy violations originating from an incident report are considered alleged pending completion of the student conduct process. Any member of the Housing and Dining Services community can report behavior that is inconsistent with the residence hall contract, Jardine Agreement, Housing and Dining Services policies, and/ or university policies. If the alleged misconduct occurs in or on Housing and Dining Services property complaints should be brought to a Housing and Dining Services staff member (RA, ACC, CC, AC, or other offices designated in university policies.).

All student conduct procedures are designed to minimize disruption to the Housing and Dining Services community. When an incident takes place, the following conduct protocol occurs until the case is concluded with a final decision. If a formal complaint is filed against a student, usually through an incident report, a conduct hearing officer is assigned to consider charges against the student. A conduct hearing officer will be assigned according to the severity of the situation, previous conduct record, and the community where the violation occurred. The conduct hearing officer may be an Assistant Community Coordinator, Assistant Coordinator for Departmental Initiatives, Community Coordinator or Area Coordinator.

The conduct officer for an alleged violation may not be in the same community where the violation occurred. In some situations, a case may be handled by the Office of Student Life or Office of Institutional Equity. View the housing conduct process chart.

Heating and Air Conditioning System

An air conditioning system is provided in every apartment. Installation of additional units of any kind is not permitted. For window unit air conditioners, filters are maintained on a regular basis by the facilities management staff.

In renovated and traditional apartments, the heating system is operated by facilities management staff. Apartments do not have individual heating controls. The entire building has one heating controller. The temperature controller computes exterior temperatures and heat loss of water returning to the boiler and selects the boiler temperatures needed in order to maintain temperatures of 68 to 70 degrees F in apartments. Any isolated heat loss or restriction of heat flow is not monitored and the room or apartment involved will have lower temperatures and slow heat recovery.

If an apartment is not warm, residents should note the following:

  1. An air conditioner is a major loss of heat if not properly prepared for the heating season. The facilities management staff will cover the metal cabinet with material that will not allow air infiltration.
  2. Residents should close and latch all storm and regular windows, open all heater flaps (convector dampers) and remove lint from the piping (convector fins).
  3. Furniture, carpeting, etc., must not block air intake at bottom of convector covers and must be spaced at least 6 inches from the wall.
  4. In modern apartments, each apartment is equipped with a thermostat that regulates a heat pump system. There is concise information about the steps for setting the thermostat and controlling air and heat in the apartment. Please note that if the thermostat is set to “auto” the fan will come on when the thermostat calls for it. If the thermostat is set to “on” the fan will run all of the time, consuming more electricity. Also, only easily moveable furniture should be placed in front of the HVAC closet. Facilities management staff will periodically change the filter on your heating and air-conditioning unit. The emergency heat setting is designed to heat up your apartment quickly in case of an emergency of heat loss. This is only for short, temporary use due to the fact that it is extremely expensive to leave on for longer than absolutely needed. In addition, if a resident adjusts the temperature more than 3 degrees at a time to either heat or cool their unit, the heat pump system will engage in the emergency setting. This can lead to high energy consumption.

Residents should report any heating problem to facilities management staff at 785-532-6466 or by submitting a housing maintenance request through the Resident Portal.

HDS Facilities Management Staff

Housing and Dining Services has facilities management staff available 24 hours a day. Staff members are authorized to enter apartments at any reasonable time without prior notice for the purposes of inspection, service and repair, when business reasons necessitate such entry. If residents are not present, facilities management staff will leave a note stating the reason for entry, date and time. Charges may be assessed for nonroutine repairs and damages. Facilities management staff may be contacted at 785-532-6466 or by submitting a work order through theResident Portal


In consideration of being permitted to use the premises, the resident agrees to waive any claims, including claims for negligence, against the State of Kansas, Kansas State University, Housing and Dining Services, and their employees or agents for loss of property or for personal injury to the resident(s) or their family or guests arising from use of the premises.

The resident is also encouraged to provide insurance for personal property and personal injury, as well as liability for any damage that might occur to the apartment’s contents.


Traditional and Renovated Apartments

Each resident will be provided with a selection of keys appropriate for their apartment type, including a mailbox key and a keycard for the laundry/mail facilities. An additional mailbox key and laundry room keycard may be requested for approved family members. If the mailbox key is lost, the mailbox lock system will have to be changed to ensure proper security, charging the resident responsible for the loss. Residents must report lost keys promptly to the Jardine office. There are no refunds for keys. Residents are charged for a lock change if all the keys are not returned to the office at time of checkout.

Keys may be issued to spouses or children permanently residing in the apartment. Residents may request keys from the Jardine office. The same policies for lock-outs and entry to the apartment apply to family members permanently living with the resident.

Modern Apartments

Each resident is issued a door access card and a bedroom key, if applicable.

One mailbox key per person is provided. Residents must report lost keys to the Jardine office. If an access card is lost, this must be reported to the Jardine office. A new access card will be created for a fee. If a room key is lost, the locksmith will make another copy of the bedroom key for a fee. There are no refunds for keys. Residents are charged for lock changes if all the keys they are issued are not returned to the office at time of checkout.


Residents may come to the Jardine office from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. Monday through Friday for lockout problems. Complimentary lockout service is provided for the first three lockouts, after which a charge will be assessed. If a resident is locked out after hours, please contact staff on duty:

Staff on Duty/After Hours: 785-564-2409 (call/text/WhatsApp); apartments@k-state.edu

During business hours for residents of traditional and renovated apartments, a lockout key will be issued for 15 minutes at the Jardine office. Proper identification will be required for the key to be released to the resident. The key must be returned to the Jardine office.

If a resident of a modern apartment is locked out of their bedroom in the apartment, staff from the Jardine office will confirm the resident's identity over the phone and meet them at their apartment. Proper identification will be required to admit a resident to their apartment. If the resident is locked out of the apartment due to not having a door access key, a time-sensitive emergency unlock code will be issued at the Jardine office.

Children locked out of an apartment are not allowed entry by the Jardine office unless a Right of Entry form has been signed and is on file with the Jardine office.

Laundry Facilities

Centralized laundry facilities are available 24 hours daily for residents of renovated and traditional apartments. Washers/dryers are not permitted in renovated and traditional buildings. Residents are issued a keycard which allows them to enter any laundry facility at any time. Nonresidents who use Jardine Apartments laundry facilities should be reported to University Police at 785-532-6412 or Jardine staff.

Any mechanical problems with in-unit washers and dryers can be addressed by submitting a housing maintenance request through the Resident Portal.

Central Jardine laundry facilities: Please call the office or the staff on duty for immediate assistance. Requests for laundry refunds must be made at the time of incident. 

Lost laundry facility keycards should be reported to the Jardine office at 785-532-3790. A replacement charge is assessed for a lost keycard. No coin changers or soap dispensers are provided. If money is deposited in a broken machine, please call the office or the staff on duty for immediate assistance. Requests for laundry refunds must be made at the time of incident. Fire extinguishers are available in each laundry facility should a fire occur.

Light Bulbs

If residents are in need of replacing a burned out light bulb, please submit a work order through theResident Portal

Marketing for University-Affiliated Groups

If your group wants to market for a sponsored event by means of poster advertisements, sidewalk publicity, solicitation or tabling, you must gain approval by adhering to the following processes.

Poster Advertisements: If a Center for Student Involvement-registered organization, university department, HDS student group or faculty/staff organization would like to have their poster advertisements distributed to HDS spaces, the poster must be sent to the Pittman Building for approval two weeks in advance of the desired distribution.

Bulletin boards are available in the community laundry facilities for posting approved notices. All notices must be approved by the Jardine office. Any bulletin boards located in the mailbox area are reserved for Housing and Dining Services and the Jardine office, with prior approval from the Jardine office.

Sidewalk Publicity: Sidewalk publicity is a communication written, drawn or applied to campus sidewalks near HDS facilities. Learn more about specific regulations and guidelines such as cleanup requirements, additional applicable university policies, and approved locations, materials and modes of publicity.

Solicitation/Tabling: Housing and Dining reserves the right to limit the ability to table inside housing and dining facilities as necessary to protect the health and safety of residents, employees and the campus community.

Requests must be sent to reslife@k-state.edu at least two weeks prior to the tabling date.


Residents who want to park their vehicles in the Jardine Apartments lots must have a current Jardine parking permit. Permits can be purchased from Parking Services.

Visitor Parking

After 5 p.m., visitors may park in the parking lots W, O, T, and Z, except during home football and some basketball games. There are a limited number of metered parking stalls for visitors. Visitors who wish to park at Jardine will need to purchase a visitor permit. These are available at Parking Services or the K-State Police Department.


Bicycle racks are provided for bicycle storage and should be registered through Parking Services. City bike maps and other resources are also available.

Playground Areas

Playground areas are located in the Jardine Apartments community. Children under 12 years old and guests must be supervised at all times by an adult. Quiet hours also apply to these areas.

The Chester E. Peters Recreation Complex offers equipment rental (e.g., volleyball nets, basketballs, baseball supplies, etc.) to students. Call 785-532-6950 for details.

Reasonable Accommodations

Students who require reasonable accommodations to meet their needs should contact the Student Access Center to request such accommodations and learn more about the resources available to them.

Students with a disabled parking placard may park in the designated handicap stalls located at Jardine. Students must display both state and Jardine parking permits.

Residents with special dietary needs who have a campus meal plan may contact a Housing and Dining Services dietitian for assistance with choosing appropriate foods from the dining center menus. It may not be possible to accommodate all dietary requests. While every effort is made to make dining center meals meet dietary restrictions, we cannot guarantee that they will. Safety cannot be guaranteed for residents with life-threatening allergies. Ingredients and nutritional content of menu items may vary and cross contamination could occur during production or service. Manufacturers may also change their product formulations or ingredients without our knowledge. Dining Services makes every effort to identify ingredients in food products but cannot guarantee foods won’t contain ingredients other than those identified. It is therefore the responsibility of the customer to read ingredient labels and decide which foods to avoid. For answers to questions regarding ingredients or other assistance, please consult a Dining Services unit manager at any time.

Medically related diet orders or dietary restrictions must be communicated to Dining Services dietitians and may require documentation of restrictions to the Student Access Center as per their reasonable accommodation process.


Jardine cares about its environment. We encourage our residents to recycle what they can by utilizing the blue recycling receptacles located by the dumpsters adjacent to each apartment building.

Roommate Conflict

Living in the on-campus is a community living experience where all members have certain rights and responsibilities. Since the members of a residence hall/apartment community are unique individuals with different perceptions and values, the interpretation of appropriate living conditions can sometimes conflict. When conflict between members of a community occurs, it is important to address the conflict rather than let it escalate. While resolving conflict is not easy, it can lead to understanding, respect among community members, and help build a positive living environment. And remember you can utilize your apartment staff to be proactive! Your RA, ACC and CC are trained to assist in these matters.

To help manage conflict with your roommate(s) or another resident, all Jardine residents will be required to complete a roommate agreement shortly after all occupancy changes. These agreements will include:

  • Communicating habits, preferences and personal values.
  • Establishing Room/Apartment Rules - common topics include: cleaning, borrowing belongings, study times, guests and division of apartment responsibilities.
  • Talk to your roommate(s) when neither of you is angry or upset.
  • Carefully explain what the issue is and why it frustrates/upsets you.
  • Be specific and tactful.
  • Make compromises.

Do not threaten or give ultimatums (e.g. “if you don’t ___, I’ll...”). If you aren’t able to have a civil conversation on your own, seek help from the Housing and Dining Services student staff within your community.

If relocation is necessary/wanted, keep in mind that it is usually the person who requests the change that will move.

Self-Destructive Behavior

Kansas State University endeavors to maintain a safe and educational environment in the residence halls and apartments. The regular operation and day-to-day activities of residential communities and individual residents can be substantially disrupted by self-destructive behavior. Alleged conduct of this nature reported to or observed by Housing and Dining Services staff will be referred to the Office of Student Life and campus police for a welfare check. Please refer to the Withdrawal from the University for Seriously Disruptive Behavior policy for full details.

Snow Removal

Facilities management staff of Housing and Dining Services work on all areas of Jardine until there are clear pathways from the resident’s door to campus. If it is discovered that areas are missed, residents are encouraged to call the Jardine main office so a work order may be entered and the area cleared. Thank you for your patience as this process at times may pull Housing and Dining Services facilities management staff from other maintenance work orders as they prioritize this focus on campus safety.

Residents may also remove snow from apartment entrances or porch and balcony walkways. 

  • Snow shovels are available for use free of charge and can be found under the stairwells or in the storm shelters.
  • Ice melt is located at the top of the stairs in the apex of traditional and renovated apartment buildings. For these buildings, it is encouraged to use the interior stairwell at the apex of the building. Ice melt for modern apartments is located in the storm shelters. Please return snow shovels when finished to allow other residents to use this resource.

The streets and parking lots are the responsibility of the K-State Division of Facilities and Parking Services, respectively. You will be notified if you need to move your vehicle to aid in the snow removal process. Main sidewalk areas are cleared by facilities management staff.

Stadium Events

Traffic in and out of the Jardine Apartments area is limited for events held at the Bill Snyder Family Stadium or Bramlage Coliseum northwest of the Jardine Apartments. Persons who do not have Jardine Apartments parking permits will not be allowed to enter the area.

Storm Warnings

The city of Manhattan and Riley County have implemented a system of storm Warnings to assist citizens in using safety precautions should a tornado occur. Below are suggested procedures to follow if a storm is approaching. Residents may tune in to local radio and television stations for updated weather information, such as: B104.7 FM Country, 94.5 Country FM, 1350 AM News Talk, Sunny 102.5 FM and 101.5 K-Rock. Residents must be aware of developing storm situations so they are not taken by surprise. When a storm Watch is issued, residents should mentally rehearse a plan of action so it seems routine if/when the Warning sirens sound. The Warning is sounded by a three-minute blast of the Jardine Apartments horn on top of Building V, the university whistle, and other sirens in the city. The Warning provides very little time to act — a few seconds to a few minutes.

During storm Warnings, personnel from University Police may drive patrol cars through the Jardine Apartments community with auto sirens, flashing red lights, and bullhorns as aids in warning individuals to take cover.

In the event of a tornado Warning residents should proceed to the nearest storm shelter. Storm shelters are located on the first floor of all modern buildings — Buildings 1, 1A, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15 and 16 (see map PDF). If it is impossible to go to a shelter, residents should seek protection in the first floor apartments, stay away from windows and try to get under a table or bed. The bathroom is another alternative.

It is advisable all residents have a battery-powered portable radio and a flashlight. Storms occur at night as well as during the daytime.

The All Clear comes from 1350 KMAN and 91.5 KMKF-FM radio stations in Manhattan. No one should leave shelters or premises until an All Clear from these stations is given. A second blast of the siren indicates another storm has been sighted. It is not an All Clear signal.

On the first Monday of each month at 10:20 a.m., the city sirens, the siren on Building V, and the power plant whistle are activated for test purposes only.

Transfer Requests

All transfer requests will be coordinated by the Jardine occupancy coordinator who will advise the resident of their options and any charges that may apply.

All residents must be checked out of their current apartment before the end of the semester in which they transfer unless otherwise determined by the Jardine Apartments staff with advanced notice to the resident.

All transfer requests filed in the Jardine office will expire on Jan. 31 of each year.

If residents refuse an offered apartment, they are moved to the end of the transfer list. Residents may only decline a transfer twice before they are removed from the transfer list.

There is a $200 transfer fee per person for Jardine-to-Jardine transfers unless the resident has experienced a life event (e.g., acceptance into graduate school) or a change in family status (e.g., marriage or childbirth/adoption) within a predetermined time. The predetermined time is dependent on when the resident officially requests a transfer and the circumstances related to the specific situation. Residents must contact the Jardine Apartments office to discuss specific details regarding transfer eligibility and for a complete listing of the situations in which the transfer fee may be waived.

Transfer Requests During the Choose Your Experience Process (Mid-January through February, Yearly)

Any current Jardine resident may choose to preference a transfer during the annual Choose Your Experience Jardine Agreement renewal process.

A move-in date will be coordinated with the occupancy coordinator with advanced notice based on availability of the new apartment.

Transfer Requests At Times Other Than the Choose Your Experience Process

Residents must reside in the assigned apartment for a period of three months before they may request any transfer to another apartment.

Helpful Tips for Transfers
Prepare for the move:
  • Communicate with friends to get assistance in moving.
  • Recruit someone to move your things if you are not here to do it yourself (Proxy). The Proxy must be someone that will be in Manhattan at the time the apartment is ready. Please do not pick a friend that will be going on vacation or back home for a visit during the allotted time. Complete appropriate Proxy designation paperwork.
  • Pack your belongings before leaving town if you are traveling during the summer.
  • Set up a contingency plan (what happens if you cannot be here to move your things).
  • Set up Evergy Energy account for your new apartment before leaving town (remember, we will cover the old apartment and you will cover the new apartment). Please provide your account information before you leave town. We cannot allow your belonging to move to the new apartment without this information.
  • Make arrangements for who will clean the apartment after your belongings are moved.
What to expect from Jardine:
  • Notice of a change of address should be filed with the U.S. Postal Service. Please do not remove your name from your old mailbox. The mailman will do this when they get your new mailbox information.
  • Campus traffic regulations prohibit the driving of vehicles, including trailers, over curbs and/or onto the lawn.
  • Watch your emails for apartment information. We will be providing dates of when the check-in and check-out needs to be completed.
Transfer FAQs
How long does the process take?

The resident will have 7 days to move their belongings, clean the apartment and return the keys to the old apartment by 3 p.m. of the assigned day.

How much does it cost to transfer?

There is a $200 transfer fee. It will be applied to your KSIS account at the time of transfer.

What happens if the rent is more or less expensive than my previous apartment?

You will pay the current apartment rental rate until June 30. As of July 1, you will be responsible for the new apartment rental rate regardless of when you move.

Do I have to stay in Manhattan all summer?

No, you can get a friend or family member (a proxy) to move your belongings for you. It is strongly suggested to find a proxy who will be in Manhattan all summer. If you choose to come back to move, please note that you must move in the alloted time given.

Why can't I just move whenever I want? Wouldn't that make things easier? Why do I only have six days to complete the process?

Everyone wants to move into a clean apartment. This means we need time to get your new apartment ready for you and get your current apartment ready for the next person. The cleaning process takes time. Adhering to a time schedule allows us to better prepare each apartment to the best of our ability.

What if I cannot make it back in time to transfer apartments?

Please have a proxy lined up to move your belongings. If you do not complete your move in the alloted time, additional charges will apply for each day after the allotted time. You will be charged for the new apartment rental rate and $25 per day for your current apartment.

What advice do you have to make transferring easier?

Pack as much as you can before you receive the first email with the transfer date. Have people ready to assist you in the move. Finish packing the night before you pick up the keys.

Do I need to bring in my marriage certificate again if I already brought it in once?

No, we only require this once. It remains on file under your name.

How will I know if my new apartment is ready?

You will receive an email giving you your start date to move and a completion date date. If there will be a delay, we will notify you.

Can someone help me move?

We do not have staff that can help you move. We have some equipment to check out during office hours (vacuums, carpet cleaner, hand dollies, cart, cleaning supply bucket). There is not a truck for use. There are moving companies in Manhattan and the surrounding areas you may contact for assistance in moving your belongings. Housing and Dining Services does not provide this service nor does it pay for the service or endorse a certain company.

What is Evergy Energy's contact information?

Evergy: 1-800-383-1183 or www.evergy.com

Who do I contact for additional questions?

Contact the Jardine Office at 785-532-3790.

What if I change my mind? Do I tell someone or just wait?

Please contact the Housing and Dining Services Office immediately at 785-532-6453.

What if nobody helps me to move and I can't move my furniture?

Im sorry, at this time we do not have any resources to provide you. You may try to get help from friends and neighbors. There are moving companies in Manhattan and the surrounding area you may contact for assistance in moving your belongings. Housing and Dining Services does not provide this service nor does it pay for the service or endorse a certain company.

Doesn't Evergy just transfer services to my new apartment?

No, you need to contact Evergy to have them transfer your account to the new address or start a new account. Your new address will be provided in your transfer email.

Do I need to pay a deposit for my new apartment?

No, your current deposit will transfer to the new agreement.

Will I can get back my deposit from my old apartment?

Your deposit will transfer to your new apartment. When you leave the Jardine community, your deposit will be refunded, minus any damages or cleaning charges.

What if I am choosing to transfer apartments but my roommate is staying in the old one, how does check-out work?

During the check-out, we will look at your room for damages and then the common areas for major damages. Please be considerate to your roommate and clean the common area before you leave.

Does my Proxy have to be a K-State student? What about a family member? Do they need my keys to move my belongings and for check-out? Is there a time limit?

Your proxy can be anyone you trust to move your belongings. Yes, the proxy will have the same time limit as you would when moving. Yes, the proxy does need to return your keys and complete a waiver or check out in your place. The same fee penalties apply if the proxy does not complete the process.

Is my Proxy checking me into my new apartment?

No, when you come back to our community you will need to complete the check-in process. Please note that you will need your Evergy Energy account on file before you can move your belongings.

If I cancel this transfer, can I stay in my same apartment?

Please contact the Housing and Dining Services Office immediately at 785-532-6453. Your current apartment may have been rented already and the Housing and DIning Services staff will assist you to find a solution.

Can I transfer to a different apartment?

If you wish to discuss this, please contact the Housing and Dining Services Office immediately at 785-532-6453.

Transfer Procedure

Residents who are transferring will pay the current rental rate through the end of their current agreement period and will begin paying their new rate at the beginning of the new agreement unless otherwise determined by the Jardine Apartments staff with advanced notice to the resident. When offered a transfer apartment, residents will be granted three days to complete the transfer.

Trash Bins

Large trash receptacles are located throughout the Jardine community for use by residents living in the Jardine Apartments. All garbage and trash must be placed in sacks, tied shut, and placed in the trash bin. Trash is collected anytime after 8 a.m., Monday through Saturday. It is the responsibility of K-State Division of University Facilities to empty all bins, wash out bins when the need arises and keep bins in good repair.

Utility Services

Electrical Service (Evergy: 800-383-1183)

Electricity is on in each apartment when residents check in, and billing is switched to the designated renter’s name at that time. An Evergy employee reads electrical meters each month. There is no need to enter apartments for this. Residents receive bills by mail or email each month from Evergy. Payment is made directly to Evergy and any questions or concerns about these bills should be directed to them. It is the responsibility of residents to request cancellation.

Maintaining continuous Evergy service in an occupied apartment is the responsibility of all roommates, regardless of which roommate is the official account holder. All residents shall properly set up electricity prior to moving into Jardine and maintain continuous service and an up-to-date account with Evergy.

Charges incurred for any violation of these provisions will result in Housing and Dining Services posting charges to a student’s KSIS account, in equal shares, for all electrical services including a nonrefundable $25 per-person processing fee for each transaction to a student’s university KSIS account. Such charges include, but are not limited to, damages/charges for failure to establish and/or maintain utilities as requested, reconnection fees for noncontinuous service during a transfer of account holder among roommates, or reconnection fees following an action or lack of response from the resident.

Gas Service

Traditional apartment stoves, heat and hot water operate on gas. The cost for gas service is included in the monthly rent; no additional fees are assessed for this service. If problems or strange smells associated with gas are noticed, residents must immediately contact the Housing and Dining Services Facilities Management office at 785-532-6466.

Vacating Your Apartment

To vacate without additional damages or charges, a resident of Jardine Apartments must:

  • Complete an Intent to Vacate form (ITV) at least sixty (60) days in advance of the end of their contract, which for all residents on an apartment agreement is June 30.
  • For all residents on a Hybrid Agreement, the contract ends May 31. If you are not staying in Jardine for the summer, you must fill out an ITV. If there is a gap in your agreement where you will not be living with us from June 1 to Aug. 1, fill out the ITV.
  • Meet the criteria for vacating at the end of the semester during the window of opportunity (a period of days in the month of December during which residents are able to vacate for approved reasons with no damages or charges).

Any resident wishing to vacate their apartment at any time other than the conclusion of their contract must email assignments@k-state.edu to see if they qualify to vacate early. A resident who wants to vacate prior to or at the conclusion of the fall semester must also submit an ITV form at least sixty (60) days in advance of vacating. Failure to provide this notice will result in additional damages or charges including loss of the deposit. The student will be responsible for 100 percent of the rent through the end of December.

Residents graduating at semester or participating in an academic program (student teaching, internship, cooperative study or study abroad) may terminate this agreement at the end of the fall semester without additional damages or charges if they have submitted an ITV at least sixty (60) days in advance of vacating and provided documentation from their academic advisor.
If a resident vacates early, all remaining resident(s) are still liable for payment of the full amount of the apartment rental rate, but the remaining eligible residents may designate a new eligible resident(s) to replace the vacating resident(s). The new resident(s) must be mutually agreeable to the remaining resident(s) and to the Jardine office. If approved, the new resident(s) may replace the vacating resident on the agreement via a signed addendum. Failure to checkout properly will affect your rental history with Housing and Dining Services.

Room Checkout Procedures

Checkout procedures include: The resident(s) agrees to be responsible for the cost of cleaning, replacement and repairs of equipment, furniture and/or fixtures on the premises. Residents will be charged for a lock change and new keys if a key is lost or not returned at checkout. This includes all apartment, laundry facility and mailbox keys. Residents will be charged for a new keycard if a keycard is lost or not returned at checkout. The resident(s) must also conclude a checkout process with apartment staff and clean their residence and return the apartment to at least as good of condition as when you moved into the apartment. To satisfactorily clean, follow these steps:

  • Sweep and mop the floor.
  • Clean windows and window ledges.
  • Dust shades/blinds.
  • Clean and dust all furniture, including inside drawers.
  • Ensure all original furniture is inside the apartment.

If a resident does not file an ITV Form prior to vacating the apartment at any time, then the resident will continue to be assessed rent charges through the end of the Term of the Agreement or until such time as the university has knowledge that the resident no longer occupies the apartment, whichever occurs last, and the resident further agrees that the university also will retain the $400 deposit previously paid by the resident, along with an amount equivalent to two months (measured from the end of the Term of the Agreement or when the university has knowledge that the resident no longer occupies the apartment, whichever occurs last) of that resident’s rent charge, as liquidated damages. Additionally, if you elect to do a waiver checkout, you agree to accept all charges that are found by the staff that check your apartment.

Vacating in Emergency Situations

In case of fire or other catastrophe that makes the apartment uninhabitable, the university will either provide other housing or the agreement will be terminated.


Residents of traditional and renovated apartments are encouraged to use the molding strips near the ceiling to hang decorative items (e.g., pictures). If residents choose to use tape, fees may be assessed at time of checkout for damage to the walls.


Residents may use the following webpage addresses to find information pertaining to the listed resource areas:

Jardine Office: housing.k-state.edu/living-options/apartments

Housing and Dining Services: housing.k-state.edu


Previous: Know Your Staff                    Next: Jardine Policies