Before You Move In
- Network registration is required for every device that you would like to connect to the K-State networks in the residence halls and Jardine Apartments.
- Antivirus Software Trend Micro antivirus is no longer supported by K-State. Per K-State policy, you are required to have some form of antivirus. K-Staters connecting their computers to the Kansas State University network can use the antivirus software of their choice or choose from the university's list of recommended software
- Wireless routers are not allowed on the K-State network.
- Review the new to K-State IT page for general information about IT across campus.
- K-State and ResNet IT policies can be viewed at these links:
K-State's computer recommendations may be found on the K-State Computer Recommendations page. Please consider these recommendations when assessing your current computer hardware or before purchasing a new computer.
- Before making any computer purchase, check the department/college recommendations for your field of study.
- Please note that Apple Mac computers are recommended for art, education and journalism majors.
Supported Operating Systems
Make sure that your computer has an up-to-date and legal copy of one of these supported operating systems:
- Microsoft Windows 7, Windows 8 or Windows 10
- OS X 10.12 or newer
- Common distributions of Linux such as: Ubuntu, Red Hat, Debian, Mint, Fedora, openSUSE, etc.
- Do not buy a wireless router.
- Wireless printers are supported on the K-State network. You will need to register the printer, and be sure to enable Airgroup while registering the printer.
What to Consider Bringing (In Addition to Your Computer)
- Computer Security Lock (or some form of anti-theft device)
- Ethernet Cable
- External Hard Drive
- Printer (optional)
- Additional cabling or wires for your computer and devices (TV, DVD player, stereo, etc.)
- All software installation media (e.g., operating systems installation disks, etc.)
What NOT to Bring
Please familiarize yourself with K-State's network usage policies. All users of the K-State network are subject to these policies.
- Any and all additional networking equipment and devices are strictly prohibited. NO WIRELESS ROUTERS. (Sorry to repeat, but this is important!) Wired Ethernet and wireless connections are provided in all of the residence halls and Jardine Apartments. Should you need additional network ports in your room, you may check out a hub (which splits one Ethernet port to several) for free from the ResNet Help Desk. Using your own networking equipment can result in your room Ethernet ports being blocked and restricted from using the internet.
- Peer 2 Peer (P2P) applications and file sharing are prohibited. This type of network activity has been prevented from functioning on the K-State network. Students caught sharing copyrighted materials are subject to being blocked on the network as well as civil and criminal penalties. Examples of prohibited P2P software include uTorrent and eMule.
When You Arrive to Campus
The ResNet Help Desk works extended hours through August move-in to ensure that everyone’s computer needs are being met. Please do not hesitate to call us at 785-532-2711 or stop by the Help Desk located in Kramer Dining Center 156C.